Overhire Scenic Crew
The Center for Puppetry Arts is accepting resumes to fill its ever-growing list of scenic artists, craftsmen, and technicians for part time opportunities on an as-needed basis. Specific duties may range from general technical assistance to specific artistry projects. The expected duties are outlined by the Technical Director during the planning process to fill specific needs. Scene shop crew are encouraged to discuss interest in upcoming projects.
Responsibilities cover a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to the following:
- Load-in, changeover, or strike of Center productions and events.
- Moving scenery in or out of storage.
- Repair and touch-up of all scenic elements.
- Building, painting, and dressing scenery.
- Planning builds, which could involve drafting, rendering, or prototyping.
- Maintain a clean and orderly shop with appropriately functioning equipment.
- Assist with Center activities, as needed.
- Comfortable working on ladders and the ability to move and manipulate 80-pound ladders
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds regularly.
- Ability to stand for long periods, squatting kneeling
- Three years of formal theatre education or professional experience.
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving.
- Willingness to adapt to different fabrication processes.
- Motivated and responsible.
- Healthy sense of humor.
- Team-oriented attitude.
Desired Skills (any level of each can be helpful and should be discussed with the Technical Director):
- Stage Technician (confident installing or striking a range of scenic elements)
- Woodworking (from scenic carpentry to furniture craft and everything in between)
- Metalworking (welding, smithing, machining, etc)
- Painting (Scenic artistry to faux finishing)
- Crafting and dressing
- Tetris-ing (Packing and storing efficiently)
- Planning (Outlining, drafting, samples, etc)
- Working in a dead-hung space
- Use of hoists and lifts.
Overhire Scenic Crew are compensated on an hourly basis.
Organization Background: The Center for Puppetry Arts is the largest nonprofit organization in the United States dedicated to the art form of puppetry. For further information, visit our website at www.puppet.org
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume and portfolio (if available) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note any attachment over 10 MB may need to be sent in separate emails.